Craving take-out? Try making this super easy, take-out-inspired Korean Beef & Broccoli Bowl. The dish is sweet and flavourful with honey, soy, ginger, and garlic. The star ingredient is ground beef which makes this recipe not only delicious but budget-friendly too!
A quick note about spice – you can make this recipe as mild or spicy as you like! If you like heat, go ahead and add more than the 1/4 tsp that is called for in this recipe.
Korean Ground Beef & Broccoli
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 ½ lbs lean ground beef
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- ¼ tsp red chili flakes (optional or add more to increase heat)*
- ½ cup low-sodium soy sauce
- ½ cup beef broth (homemade is best)
- ½ cup honey
- ½ Asian pear cored, peeled and diced
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tsp ginger freshly grated
- 3-4 cups of cooked rice short or medium grain white rice like jasmine
- 3 cups of steamed broccoli
- 2 green onions thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp red chilies thinly sliced
- Preheat a large stainless steel or cast-iron pan to medium-high heat. Add the olive oil to coat the bottom of the pan. Brown the ground beef, breaking it into smaller pieces. Drain excess grease if needed.
- Add the garlic and red chili flakes. Stir to combine until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- In a medium bowl, combine the soy sauce, beef broth, honey, pear, toasted sesame oil, rice vinegar, cornstarch, and ginger. Using an emersion blender, blend until smooth.
- Pour the sauce over the ground beef, stirring to combine. Lower the heat to simmer for approximately 20 minutes, while stirring it occasionally, or until most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Serve with the broccoli over rice.
- Garnish with green onions and sesame seeds or thinly sliced red chilies.
This Korean Beef & Broccoli Bowl is the perfect weeknight dinner option. It’s simple to prepare, deliciously flavourful and budget-friendly – it’s no wonder why takeout can’t compare! Give this recipe a try tonight and satisfy your cravings without ever leaving your home. Enjoy!